[postgis-devel] SQL comment generation

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Sep 25 04:38:49 PDT 2008

Mark,
> So this suggests that we add your xsltproc command to the
documentation
> Makefile as a new target, maybe "make sqlcomments" or similar. Once
this
> file has been generated, it would be up to the documentation
maintainers
> to commit the new revisions into SVN so that they get pulled in by
> lwpostgis.sql.in.c. Sound reasonable?

Yap , that was along the lines of what I was thinking.

> I had this recollection from this thread that you mentioned some
> function prototypes were causing you issues - optional parameters
maybe?

Interestingly - running the generated comment.sql raised a good red flag
that
our documentation did not completely agree with what we were
implementing.

So it turned out to be an accidental cross-checker.  The ones I was
complaining about ST_Bd
ST_MBd was because when I was moving over these functions, I assumed
they would have the same
prototypes as ST_GeomFromText so I had documented something that didn't
exist.

To my surprise PostgreSQL threw up so to speak and said (What is this -
I have no knowledge of this function?)
I still think we should have those imaginary functions by the way.

I would have run into the same issue with ST_MakePointM when I try to
move that over.

The only side case situation I can think of is with aggregates - recall
in old installs that have been faithfully upgrading we had that issue
with new aggregates not being created unless you do a full dump reload.
I think that still is an issue.  The comment sql part would
fail since it will never find the ST_ function aggregate parent.  This
could be a good thing or bad thing however you look at it.

Good in that if you combine into the lwpostgis.sql people with faulty
installations would certainly know it since their install will fail.
Bad in that hmm their install will fail.

Thanks,
Regina