[postgis-devel] WKT Raster: Back from RT_ to ST_

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Thu Apr 2 10:42:39 PDT 2009

Hi,

Thinking about it twice, I realize that if one of the main goal of WKT
Raster is to "to offer a single set of SQL functions (like
ST_Intersects) operating seamlessly on vector and raster coverages" we
must rename all our functions from "RT_" to "ST_" so that a user can use
its knowledge of PostGIS and apply it to the raster type seemlessly e.g.
ST_Envelope(raster r1).

One of the argument against was that ST_ stands for "standard" (is this
right?) and that (surely) none of WKT Raster is standard. But many
(most?) PostGIS function are also not standard and they nevertheless
have the ST_ prefix.

WKT Raster functions are intended to merely overload PostGIS functions,
not to provide a different set of them (although some will be specific
to the raster type).

Pierre