[postgis-devel] WKT Raster: Back from RT_ to ST_

strk strk at keybit.net
Thu Apr 2 11:05:20 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 10:47:36AM -0700, Kevin Neufeld wrote:

> Pierre Racine wrote:
>  > One of the argument against was that ST_ stands for "standard" (is this
> >right?) and that (surely) none of WKT Raster is standard. But many
> >(most?) PostGIS function are also not standard and they nevertheless
> >have the ST_ prefix.
> >

> I thought ST_ stood for "Spatial Type" ... or was it "Super Terrific"? :)

Whatever it stands for, I belive it was dictated by ISO.
Postgis hackers liked it and used for non-ISO-specified things too,
which I've never been very comfortable with.

In my opinion the 'ST_' thingy should have only been 'aliases' for ISO
compatibility, keeping unprefixed names for everything (going up
to a schema, if it was for namespacing).

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!