[postgis-devel] WKT Raster: Back from RT_ to ST_

strk strk at keybit.net
Fri Apr 3 01:39:27 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 08:26:38PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:
> Yap ST_ thingy should have been left for only ISO stuff.  Right now I feel
> sort of torn since the damage has already been done; seems like a lot of
> effort to correct the wrong.  Maybe we can revisit in 2.0.
>
> I do like the idea of overloading ST for raster though, but I think Paul was
> dead set against the idea because it would break OGC compatibility.

Actually, I think anyone using postgis-specific things should use
the version with no ST_ prefix. When you use ST_ it's because you're
hoping your code will "just work" with any ISO-compliant thingy.

If you're using rasters, and they are not ISO-standard, you should
use Intersect() for both rasters and vectors. You know you're talking
to postgis and not a generic ISO standard SF dbms.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!