[postgis-devel] Strange result about spatial indexes?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Aug 14 20:27:23 PDT 2009

gist_consistent is called a great deal, and for each call it gets
handed a pointer to a geometry. the consistency check is just whether
the bounding box of the key overlaps the bounding box of the geometry.
 rather than detoast the whole geometry we detoast the front slice
that contains the box, and then run the test.

Now, here's where some expert advice would be useful: what is the
gist_consistent test for?  we end up doing the bounding-boxes-overlap
check, but perhaps we could just return true all the time and
magic-would-occur. What's the purpose of the call?