[postgis-devel] Small boo boo

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 02:28:08 PDT 2009

Paragon Corporation wrote:

> The only minor caveat to this is that they would still need to run a small
> upgrade to stamp the new postgis version.  Of course it would work just
> replacing the dll, it would just register 1.4.0
>
> Mark, Paul, and Kevin,
>
> Is there a way we can do like what GEOS does.  Read the version from the
> dll.  When I replace the GEOS and Proj dll it registers the new versions
> right away where as I don't think PostGIS does.
>
> Thanks,
> Regina

This is actually a very good point; we need to convert the PostGIS
version function to C so it is embedded within the DLL rather than the
SQL scripts. It's a shame we didn't pick up on this sooner :(

It makes sense to me to get this in as soon as possible. Perhaps we just
take the line that if you are upgrading from PostGIS 1.4.0 to 1.4.1 then
you need to run the following SQL:

	DROP FUNCTION postgis_version();
	CREATE FUNCTION postgis_version() AS ...

Of course, the Win32 1.4.1 installer could detect this and do it
automatically. I'm definitely committed to not changing the SQL
signatures for a point release, but I'm not sure we have a choice with
this, otherwise the ability upgrade through point releases will just
fail :(  Anyone else think of a better plan?

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk