[postgis-devel] Small boo boo

strk strk at keybit.net
Sat Aug 22 13:56:43 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 03:37:13PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> I guess I'm thinking how many times have we really needed to change a .sql
> file after releasing the first minor release aside from the cases where we
> were introducing new functions which we will no longer be doing in micro
> versions.
>
> I can't think of any cases off hand.  So my point is that if we assume this
> is the case moving forward, making the requirement that people have to
> install an upgrade script when moving from micro to micro becomes
> unnecessary and simplifies the nagging questions
>
> I'm moving from 1.5.0 to 1.5.2 do I need to run a soft upgrade script --> NO
> I'm moving from 1.5.0 to 1.6.2 do I need to run a soft upgrade script -->
> YES

I'd always answer YES to "do I ned to run an upgrade script ?"
The old-days postgis_upgrade.sql did tell you about the need to
run the "hard-upgrade" procedure if it is needed (minor version mismatch)
and used to be a kind of no-op on an already up-to-date setup.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!