[postgis-devel] trying PostGIS online

Marc Jansen jansen at terrestris.de
Wed Dec 16 06:03:23 PST 2009

Hi Nicklas,

find my answers inline:

Nicklas Avén wrote:
> Hallo Mark
>
> Great :-)
>
> Absolutely, we should try to get something useful out of this together.

Maybe we simply chat when the book is published? What do you think?

> What is producing your maps? Mapserver, geoserver?

I have a background world-WMS served by I-don't-know... it's external, I
simply use the service. The spatial data from a query is being rendered
by the browser as vectorgraphics (OpenLayers allows you to display e.g.
WKT-Strings as vector data, SVG, VML etc.).

> I have one longterm-thought about this (seen from my situation as a
> novice hacker trying my best :-)) , give me a few lines to explain:
> I think PostGIS gets too samll attention at least in this part of the
> world. Here I have focused on two reasons I think is obvious.
> 1)   as I wrote in last post, people doesn't at once see the
> possibility to use spatial sql-queris for analyses, they just use the
> spatial database for storing. An online testarea to send everybody
> little curious could maybe help some of that.

Yes, maybe.

> 2)  I think it is a weakness that almost no webhotels can offer a
> PostGIS functionality (together with mapserver or Geoserver) and I
> think one problem is to be able to manage your spatial data on a
> webhotel. Other data you can manage with phppgAdmin in postgresql. Of
> cource you can manage spatial data to like that but you will easily
> get a feeling that you don't have control if you can't easily see your
> data. So I think maybe the webhotels would be more intrested if there
> were a web user interface to the spatial data.

webhotels are webhosters, right ? :-) I am not an expert in that field,
bnut would guess that only few of them offer a PostgreSQL-database, and
even fewer one with PostGIS preinstalled... at least within the minimal
package that includes a database.

As for the simple preview of stored spatial data from with phppgadmin, I
am pretty sure I remember a plugin that did that. Not sure what it was
called though, sorry

> So my plan is to get this tutorial site (not nessesary from my initial
> approach) running, hoping for people to contribute in the development
> of the site. That will have a positive effect on PostGIS during this
> development process and maybe it will give ideas and encourage someone
> to implement it in for example phppgAdmin.
>
> It's not illegal to be naive :-)

I don't think you are naive. Publishing your ideas (or solutions to
problems you happen to stumble upon) is the core of OSS, isn't it? Who
knows if someone will jump on the train? No one will join you if you
don't publish... so go on, release early and often!

Regards,
Marc

> [...]
> >directly to the original email.
> >
> >[1] http://openlayers.org
> >[2] german only:
> >http://www.amazon.de/OpenLayers-Webentwicklung-dynamischen-Karten-Geodaten/dp/3937514929/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260946463&sr=8-1
> >[3] http://www.fossgis.de/konferenz/wiki/Main_Page
> >[4] http://www.fossgis.de/
> >

> >Original email from Nicklas:
> >Hallo
> >
> >I have had an idea about a site where people can try and test postgis
> >online.
> >Working with spatial data in db-environment I think a lot of people
> >seems like abstract and maybe suspect and
> >their picture of analyse spatial data is often tightly connected to some
> >Arc-products.
> >
> >So, now I have come up with something as a start.
> >
> >The basic idea is that a sql-string generates a view or a table that
> >mapserver produces a transparent gif-image from.
> >The idea of working with transparent images is that you can produce many
> >(three in the application of today) images that will be put on top of
> >each other. The first defines the extent and the others will be showed
> >on top.
> >
> > From this concept I continued and found a way of easily producing
> >tutorials.
> >The idea is that a tutorial (defined by some objects in a html-file)
> >controls 4 objects in the window (see attached picture):
> >* the text in a describing text -holder to the right in the screen
> >* the text in the sql-string text area, so the user can just click a
> >button to see the result, modify it and try again
> >* Background map, One of the maps in the dataabse, shown "as is" in full
> >extent or in extent defined by Map1
> >* An image, it is possible to, instead of the map give the url to an
> >image. Might b convinient for showing something in the tutorial
> >
> > From this tools it should be easy, bith to present all the PostGIS
> >functions and explain new things like Geography-type or wkt-raster.
> >
> >I think it could give many sql-gurus an aha-experiense to see the
> >possibilities of analysing spatial data with sql.
> >
> >I have bought postgisonline.org for the purpose. (Thought it was best
> >buying it before discussing it in public :-)
> >There is also other suggestions but I don't know if that was an option
> >for sure or just maybe . I have no opinion in that question.
> >Does it sound interesting?
> >I would like it all to be open source. Do I haev to but some special
> >text in the files. Do I/we risk anything if I just dump it all to this
> >list?
> >
> >about the attached pictures:
> >* the artistic example is Reginas example in documentation to
> >st_longestline, buffered with 1, 2 respective 5 units on top of eachother
> >* picture.jpeg is the page 2 of a tutorial shoving what it looks like.
> >Not very fancy, but I'm little alergic to heavy fanciness on the web.
> > But should maybe be little more good looking with colors and so on.

  Dipl.-Geogr. Marc Jansen
  - Anwendungsentwickler -

  terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
  Irmintrudisstraße 17
  53111 Bonn

  Tel:    ++49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -53
  Fax:    ++49 (0)228 / 96 28 99 -57

  Email:  jansen at terrestris.de
  Web:    http://www.terrestris.de

  Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6835
  Komplementärin:  terrestris Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
  vertreten durch: Hinrich Paulsen, Till Adams