[postgis-devel] PostGIS 1.4: Call for feature freeze

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 07:04:55 PST 2009

Hi folks,

For various reasons, 1.4 has been a particularly long development cycle
and I believe we're close to the point where need to push it out so
people can make use of it, and we can open up development once again.
Hence I'd like to call a feature freeze on 1.4 around now, which gives
us a month to fix bugs in time for a tentative release around the time
of the Toronto Code Sprint.

1.3 branch
==========

I consider the 1.3 branch to be in maintenance mode, so there should be
no new features added to 1.3 branch. Only documentation changes and
bugfixes are acceptable. I think that we should also aim for a final
1.3.6 release at the time of the 1.4 release for those people who cannot
upgrade.

1.4 branch (or trunk)
=====================

During the feature freeze, I would like to suggest the following:

  - Developers should concentrate on fixing any outstanding bugs
  marked with a 1.4 milestone rather than developing new features.

  - No new features/changes should be added to trunk. If someone has a
  compelling reason to commit something not already opened in the
  bugtracker, please discuss this on the -devel list first.

  - Documentation fixes are fine at all times.

  - Before final release, we shall run astyle on the entire set of .c/.h
  files in line with the new coding standards. From this point on, people
  who don't follow the coding standards set out in the STYLE document
  will be shouted at :)

Does this sounds reasonable to everyone?

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland