[postgis-devel] License

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Wed Feb 4 14:38:29 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:
> Yeah; that's quite a hard task. I'm not sure exactly how I'd feel about
> having my work re-licensed as BSD at the moment either.

And here I thought it was just strk who was going to be a hard-core
license geek. :) I have drifted over the years from being pretty
strong GPL (hence the initial license) to feeling that the key thing
is the community and that the license is less important when it comes
to viably maintaining a piece of open source. Watching the relative
success of PostgreSQL, GDAL and Mapserver has helped, I think --
valuable pieces of work, and even when companies have forked bits it
seems to have helped out in bringing extra funded work into the main
tree over time.

Your notes about development I all agree with. Heck, how would we even
contribute given the narrow band of allowed committers in the main
tree. I know that *I* certainly don't meet the requisite skill level
to play with those folks.  So perhaps we go on our merry way as is,
and try to push back on David and Co to do a better job of promoting
us, instead of only promoting the core, if they want to make PgSQL
look "bigger and better".

P.