[postgis-devel] Public/Private API, ST_*/_ST_*

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 01:32:09 PST 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Unfortunately, when we function re-named things for 1.2, things got a
> little out-of-hand, and every single function ended up with an ST_*
> sibling. I'd like to back away from that a bit now, and flip private
> functions into _ST_* space.  Some examples are st_geom_accum,
> st_unite_garray, etc.  I'd like to do it without leaving the old
> variants around. This is "breaking", but since the functions are
> private, hopefully not actually breaking.
>
> P.

Yeah, the renaming was a little bit hit and miss. The main issue here is
that ST_geom_accum and ST_unite_garray are actually part of the
aggregates API and should not be called directly, since if this changes
then everything will break. I would suggest creating some new functions
names and aliasing them onto the old ones for the time-being.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland