[postgis-devel] Faster Accum

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 01:37:13 PST 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I've started on bringing the 8.4 array_agg back into our tree. Oddly,
> the code for much of it exists in the postgresql tree already, back to
> 8.0, so the amount of in our tree is fairly slight.

Awesome. Well done Paul, the results look really impressive so far...

> Unfortunately,
> because the idea is to pass an internal pointer around, and CREATE
> AGGREGATE doesn't like that, there's some updating of system tables
> required to fully hook it up.

Eeek. Changing the system catalogs in an undocumented manner like this
is an absolute no-no. What should be happening is that we should create
a special type for the transition function (which is essentially a
wrapper on Datum) to hold the ArrayState and use that instead.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland