[postgis-devel] SRID / Spheroid / Units

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sat Jul 18 10:15:57 PDT 2009

I am assuming that the GEOGRAPHY type will include an SRID and that if
one is not defined, WGS84 parameters will be assumed. Unlike GEOMETRY,
any measuring operation (length, distance, area) against a GEOGRAPHY
is going to need to know the spheroid parameters in order to return an
answer, which implies a spatial_ref_sys lookup.

I am not fond of the idea of having to do a lookup, because it's going
to have to happen so often. Particularly for some well-known values,
I'd like to short-circuit that process. Unfortunately that cuts
against the grain of the spatial_ref_sys concept, which is that the
srid numbers are in fact internal to the database, and not universal
(srid 4326 could be anything, it's not guaranteed to be WGS84). Any
advice or guidance? Maintain the pristine theoretical underpinnings of
spatial_ref_sys, or bow to the universal use we have promoted, which
is to expect the values in spatial_ref_sys.sql (and hence, EPSG
numberings) to prevail.

P.