[postgis-devel] Typmod Again

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Wed Jul 22 16:50:07 PDT 2009

Paul,

* Paul Ramsey (pramsey at opengeo.org) wrote:
> FYI, I'm implementing this stuff within the context of GEOGRAPHY,
> which allows us to sort of play with these ideas before rolling them
> onto GEOMETRY in a breaking way. I do think that trying to hew closer
> to the standards base for GEOMETRY when we do the 2.0 release would be
> a good idea, try to put all the breaking changes we can think of into
> one release.

I've been meaning to work on the typmod stuff for quite some time, but
have just been way too busy. :/

What's your implementation plan?  Will you be using a side-table for
each distinct typmod used in the system, or trying to encode the full
typmod into an integer?  If the dimension can be derived from the type,
it might be entirely possible to fit the rest into an integer, provided
an SRID isn't required to allow for a full integer itself.  I don't
recall ever getting an answer to how big an SRID is allowed to be..

Do you need help with it?  Is there a spec somewhere already that
details your approach?

	Thanks,

		Stephen