[postgis-devel] New uninstall_postgis.sql script

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Jun 6 22:52:14 PDT 2009

> Well, it will work as-is, but it won't work in the context of pg_migrator,
which is going to try to load the identical "old"
> SQL into the new database.  But it might be possible for you to do this in
two steps --- do the upgrade from old to new postgis either before or after
> the migration of the underlying database.  This will require having either
a 1.4 .so for PG 8.3 or a 1.3 .so for 8.4, but I gather from previous
>comments that you intend to support both anyway.

> 			regards, tom lane
Tom,
Yap that's the plan.  People can upgrade before they migrate to 8.4 or after
or can run both on the same cluster (as long as in different databases)
(since 1.3 and 1.4 are both supported on 8.3 and 8.4).
I think we'll be supporting 8.2 too for rest of the 1.* series too since its
always been easier for people to upgrade their PostGIS versions than to
upgrade PostgreSQL and I think there are still enough PostGIS users running
8.2 that would want to use new PostGIS features in 1.4 (and 1.5 if we have
that).  By 2.0 we really want to use the typemod feature so will probably
have to drop 8.2 support at the 2.0 version.

Thanks,
Regina