[postgis-devel] The Power of .0

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Thu Jun 18 12:35:50 PDT 2009

While we have a couple issues yet to close (validity checking on load)
I would like to bring forward the importance of actually releasing a
numbered version to tease out testing effort. We found in the 1.0
release cycle that the number of downloads increased by an order of
magnitude once we dropped the 'rc'. And inevitably a some bugs were
found and a 1.0.1 came out shortly thereafter.

There is no shame in releasing a .0 with some bugs in it, as long as
you're ready to catch them and crush them and swiftly release a .1. We
have been really, really, good about testing this release in the
development team and I feel very good about a release.

Can we emulate Mapserver, perhaps, and have a release schedule? That
way we don't blow another month chasing just-one-last-thing...

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/54ReleasePlan

P.