[postgis-devel] Geodetic Plan

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jun 18 14:32:09 PDT 2009

Paul,
I'm excited you are talking about a 1.5 release :)

Though honestly the rest of it is a bit over my head so can't speak
intelligently about it.

Aside from that the only issues I have are

1) I presume GEOS will not be supporting geodetic anytime soon so are you
planning to build much of that functionality right into PostGIS or is there
going to be a parallel effort there.

2) As far as 3D indexes -- I've always wondered if its possible at least as
a first step to have an array of 6 (or n) 2D indexes instead of 1 2D index
and rotate the planes of the geometry such that GEOS/PostGIS is always
looking at something that looks like X and Y.  Crazy thought so feel free to
knock it down.

Thanks,
Regina