[postgis-devel] Geodetic Plan

nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Fri Jun 19 04:10:17 PDT 2009

Maybe this is what you mean with "multi-dimensional indexing" in geodetic-plan.txt ? /Nicklas

2009-06-19 nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no wrote:

Hallo > >I have a thought about indexing. Idon't know much about them but I have read some headings from the diskussions about deviding features to get more out of the geometries.> >I guess the issues about comparing big to small will be more common when handling "the whole world".>Wouldn't it be possible to just devide the index. > >The bounding-boxes would be just like the divided features bboxes but just be indexes.> >I think one example to discuss this from is a query asking for all towns close to the atlantic oscean. With a boundingbox to the atlantic the index will give us most of the towns in the world. > >The idea is to build the index like, lets say, for example one bounding box to the representation of the atlantic in each long/lat degree.>Then the index could fist scan all towns sharing "lat/long-degree boxes" with the atlantic from some static ID of the boxes, then select from them using the smaller boundingboxes to the atlantic. > >Or maybe it would be better to!
  divide the indexes in relation to the size of the object. I don't know> >I say like Regina:>Crazy thought so feel free to knock it down.