[postgis-devel] Specifying end cap and join styles Buffer op

strk strk at keybit.net
Sat Jun 20 14:33:00 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:00:32AM +0200, strk wrote:

> We could accept these in a single string:
>
> 'endcap_style=round|flat|square join_style=round|mitre|bevel mitre_limit=5.0'

Alright, I've something working with keys 'endcap', 'join' and 'limit'.
Yesterday night I've had a chat with Paul about adding 'segs' (quadrant
segments) in too thus allowing a short buffer signature like:

	ST_Buffer(geometry, float distance, 'params');

The above would be an overload of:

	ST_Buffer(geometry, float distance, int quadSegs)

My only concern is that in the (unlikely?) case someone relies on
implicit cast from text to numeric and is thus using:

	ST_Buffer(a, '10', '6'); -- '6' meaning quadSegs

will get errors on malformed params if I add the overload.
Fine for everyone to take that risk ?

--strk;