[postgis-devel] Specifying end cap and join styles Buffer op

strk strk at keybit.net
Mon Jun 22 02:18:35 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 08:31:05PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> The more that I'm thinking about it, I'm actually okay with the
>
> st_buffer(geom, rad, params)
>
> To support the backward compatibility, we could just have the function
> handle the special case when someone only passed in a number as a string
> like '10'.  In the buffer function.  So that takes care of the backward
> compatibility with people mis relying on autocasting.

PostGIS currently has no function checking the data type
of arguments at the C level, so there's no guarantee this will
work seamlessly. An option could be having two C functions,
one taking the string, one taking the number. If we go there
though the one taking the string would end up looking like the
other in order to support pre-GEOS-3.2 functionality.

Or, Mark, have hints on how to check for sure data type of on arg
in a sane way ?

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!