[postgis-devel] postgis_upgrade.sql

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 14:20:22 PDT 2009

strk wrote:

> The nice thing of current upgrade script (if I haven't missed later
> changes) is that it's autogenerated, so no maintainance required.
> The other nice thing is you can keep feeding it to your database
> to swich between postgis versions (even if it's just to change
> path to the library).

Unfortunately this means that any generated script is tied to a
particular installation; so if you have different databases in different
states of upgrade broken-ness, you need to regenerate any upgrade .sql
files for every single installation that can be different; not cool.

At least with tighter upgrade procedures in place from 1.4, then after
an upgrade it would just be a case of running the relevant .sql script
after "make install" and everything would work just fine.

Another good reason to just have plain .sql upgrades is that all of the
upgrade scripts are written in perl, and Win32 users don't have perl
available by default. Hence Win32 upgrades can be a complete nightmare
if you're new to all of this.

At the end of the day, the cost comes down to developers having to add
changes to an upgrade file as we go along, for the benefit that upgrades
are well-documented and much easier to do for users. And I believe that
it will be beneficial for all of us in the long run to make the upgrade
cycle as painless as possible.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS