[postgis-devel]WKTRaster:WhyhavingtocompilePostgreSQL&PostGISfirst?

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Mar 4 09:25:14 PST 2009

Mateusz,
> There shouldn't be any need to (re)build PostgreSQL if you use Visual
C++.
>  Support (or lack of it) of easy configuration of PostGIS for Visual
C++ is a different story.

 I'm curious about your statement above and would be really interested
in knowing how you tackle this. When I compile PostGIS under Linux, I do
not need to compile PostgreSQL because the developer headers and so
forth are included in the distros.  Under windows I need to because as
far as I can tell the developer headers needed for PostGIS are not
there.  Are you saying this step is not necessary under Windows either?

I thought there was a time when PostgreSQL was not compiled under Visual
C++ that this step was not necessary and after it went to a Visual C++
model, then this step became necessary.

> I won't repeat myself, but MinGW should be banned as it's more a
troublemaker than helps.

Again how do you compile PostGIS under anything but MingW or Cygwin, I
didn't think it was possible under Visual C++ and that was part of our
roadmap?

>> I promess I will write a compilation procedure if I can convince
>> PostGIS people to migrate the PostGIS wiki from a 90's wiki to a new
millenium
>> wiki.

> I'm far from starting a holy war, but actually, I've found the Wiki on
cef-cfr.ca far from
> being friendly.
> Just compare to MediaWiki or Trac and you will know what I mean.

In defense of Pierre here.  I don't think its MediaWiki he is
complaining about but that we are running an old version and one that
doesn't easily support allowing power users to write pure html.  I have
similar frustrations.  But even in this mini holy war, I think
discussion is good.
All good things in life are worth criticizing.  All good things in life
can be improved on.