PostGIS infrastructure (was: Re: [postgis-devel] SVN is [temporarily] broken)

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 06:01:03 PDT 2009

Kevin Neufeld wrote:

> Hi all, I just noticed that the svn repository is out of commission.
> We're working to get this back online asap.  Thanx for bearing with us.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

One of the conversations we had at the code-sprint was a discussion of
infrastructure issues, in particular related to bug tracking/SVN/wiki
integration.

AIUI the issue here is that the postgis web/SVN server runs an old
version of BSD which has the following issues:

i) it suffers from a file handle leak which often causes outages like this

ii) we can't run Trac or newer versions of SVN

The lack of integration between bug tracking/SVN and the inability to
view changesets on the web is something that developers do notice and
struggle with on a regular basis. As I see it, the potential solutions are:

i) bug Refractions until they upgrade the server :)

ii) move SVN hosting to an external server (e.g.
postgresql.org/osgeo.org) and change svn.refractions.net to point to it.

As a potential solution, I'm leaning slightly towards ii) since there is
potential for other non-Refractions people to have root access to the
server, and hence someone in another timezone can restart things if they
break (i.e. if you're on holiday we don't have to ring you up and bug
you all the time!).

Thoughts?

ATB,

Mark.