[postgis-devel] Issue 137 in postgis: st_distance, shortestline (, st_maxdistance)

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Tue Mar 24 15:36:11 PDT 2009

Comment #3 on issue 137 by post... at jordogskog.no: st_distance, shortestline
(, st_maxdistance)
http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=137

Some news

I've done som changes som now I think the st_maxdistance function handles
polygons
with holes. It ignores every intersection and just continue to find the to
points
most far from each other in the two input geometries. A nice result from
that is that
if you input the same geometry both as geometry1 and geometry2 you get the
longest
distance from one part of the geometry to another part.

I have also atached some images showing my results with st_shortestline and
st_longestline. The length of these lines is the same as the distances of
st_distance
and st_maxdistance. I just made images of some polygonexamples, but I thing
it seems
to work propably with points and lines too.

I have also tried to follow the Style document and I have done some
renaming and
commenting.
I guess my renaming makes the patch so much bigger now.

the syntax for the new functions is just:
st_maxdistance(geometry,geometry)
st_shortestline(geometry,geometry)
st_longestline(geometry,geometry)

Nicklas Avén