[postgis-devel] WKTRaster & overviews

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Wed May 13 07:46:47 PDT 2009

> What are the pros of having a new table over simply adding:
> to the existing raster_columns table? This correspond better to 1 to
> many relation (which is the case for overviews) while the table you
> propose correspond to a many to many relation. For "original rasters",
> overview_factor would be 0 and "or_" attributes would be empty.

None that are significant, just an attempt to maintain the cleanliness
of the raster_columns table, and - deliberately - preventing overviews
being used independently of their base coverage.

I'd be happy with either approach, and indeed any approach, that had all
the metadata available to stitch it all back together.