[postgis-devel] ST_Length, ST_Length3d_spheroid

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat May 23 13:07:11 PDT 2009

In writing the PostGIS  in Action book, this inconsistency is really bugging
us.  I suppose changing this could break some apps.

We have ST_Length -- which is an alias for ST_Lenth2D and we have
ST_Length3D.

We have ST_Length_Spheroid (which does a 3d length and is an alias for
ST_Length_Spheroid3D exists) and we have ST_Length_Spheroid2D.
Also observe we have no ST_Length_Sphere* (seems like it should mirror the
ST_Distance_Sphere*).

So the main annoying inconsistency here is that ST_Length does a 2D length
while ST_Length_Spheroid does a 3D length.  Can we just have both do a 3D
length?

Thanks,
Leo and Regina