[postgis-devel] wiki post for help with beta-testing?

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Fri Nov 13 01:15:06 PST 2009

Hallo

Would it be a good idea to make a wiki post with instructions on how to beta-test the distance calculations.

Maybe it is a bad idea to instruct how to use two libraries in a single query to compare, or is it a chance to say "it is possible, but will not work for all parts of postgis".

Maybe people would get curious and willing to beta test :

select a.gid, b.gid from table1 a, table2 b
 where abs(st_distance(a.the_geom, b.the_geom)-new_distance(a.the_geom, b.the_geom))>0.0000001;

on many different datasets. I will do more testing on big datasets, but it is difficult to test all possibilities.

It would also be interesting to get feedback on situations when the old, brute force calculation is faster so we can eventually find levels where to use the new calculations and when to use the old.

/Nicklas