[postgis-devel] postgis-1.5.sql

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 06:35:35 PST 2009

Paragon Corporation wrote:

> Since no one said anything.  Let me make it clear
>
> 1) I like versionning the folder
>
> BUT
> 2) I HATE the idea of versioning the sql files, because we have too many and
> with the proliferation of upgrade script files, the situation only gets
> worse and annoying.
>
> Having to see all the files in the same folder regardless of how they are
> versioned for the different versions of postgis I would find terribly
> annoying.
>
> I think its an advantage to be able to run different versions of PostGIS on
> the same box especially if you are a consultant or doing dev work, but I
> just don't like seeing all those files in the same folder

For the record, I would definitely prefer the use of folders for this.
However, PGXS currently doesn't have the ability to do this
automatically and it would be quite a bit of a hack to do this in its
current form :(

I'd be quite happy with an extra PGXS parameter such as MODULEDIR which
defaults to the same value as MODULE_big. Then during a "make install",
PGXS would drop documentation into $(docdir)/$MODULEDIR and DATA_built
files into $(sharedir)/$MODULEDIR. Bonus points would allow entire
directories as well as files to be installed into these locations during
"make install" too.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS