[postgis-devel] 1.4.1rc1

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Nov 24 04:17:00 PST 2009

Paul, Mark and Kevin,

Me too.  We should have an rc2 after Mark has the parser fixed.  Actually
Paul, Sandro, and Mat -- any chance GEOS crew will be rolling out GEOS 3.2
and 3.1.2 out soon like before 1.4.1.

Ideally I would like to package either 3.1.2 (but better yet if Mark,Dave
Page et. al is okay with it 3.2) with the windows 1.4.1 build.

Three reasons why I would prefer GEOS 3.2 if everyone is in agreement

a) I've been running with the GEOS 3.2 svn for a while and have found it to
be a much stabler product than the 3.1 series and by the way have to retest
my OpenSUSE (which I think is running 3.1.1 RC1 -- since it fails two of the
ticket tests on 1.5 -- but I think it fails because of the older GEOS which
is an RC - which I hope doesn't exist in 3.1.2)
b) If people are going to be running both 1.4 and testing 1.5 -- I wouldn't
want their 1.4 upgrade to break their 1.5.  "I" being at the top of that
list.
c) Saves me the hassle when some poor sap comes with a  "I tried to union my
100,000 valid polygons in 1.4 and it crashed with a topological what not"
and I have to go say --> just download the GEOS 3.2 binary from the PostGIS
1.5 experimental download.
That always seems to fix their issue because of the more robust intersection
handling in GEOS 3.2.

Thanks,
Regina