[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #260: Geography inconsistent distance behavior from geometry and geography flag counting flaky

PostGIS trac at osgeo.org
Fri Oct 9 09:38:15 PDT 2009

#260: Geography inconsistent distance behavior from geometry and geography flag
counting flaky
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  robe     |       Owner:  pramsey
      Type:  defect   |      Status:  new
 Component:  postgis  |     Version:
Resolution:           |    Keywords:
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Changes (by robe):

  * summary:  Geography inconsistent distance behavior from geometry can't
              compare different dimensonality => Geography
              inconsistent distance behavior from geometry
              and geography flag counting flaky

Comment:

 If we are not going to allow this - gives gbox_overlaps: geometries have
 mismatched dimensionality:

 {{{
 SELECT ST_Distance(ST_GeographyFromText('SRID=4326;POINT(-10 50)'),
                         ST_GeographyFromText('SRID=4326;LINESTRING(-10 40
 1,-9 41 1)'));
 }}}

 Then we certainly shouldn't be allowing this which happens to work.

 {{{
 SELECT ST_Distance(ST_GeographyFromText('SRID=4326;POINT(-10 50 1)'),
                         ST_GeographyFromText('SRID=4326;LINESTRINGM(-10 40
 1,-9 41 1)'));
 }}}

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/260#comment:6>