[postgis-devel] [Board] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Thoughts on standing down from the Board of OSGeo

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Sep 11 08:48:20 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Jeff McKenna
> I'm also interested in hearing what is required of a board member.

If you are aiming to be active and effective, then a couple days a
month at a minimum to review and comment on documents, contracts,
issues that have been brought forward. If you aim to be a real
activist, then add a few days onto that for working your own issues
through.

I don't like to be involved in these kinds of organizations unless I
feel I really *am* involved, and I've been finding myself doing closer
to the minimum amount of participation (just board meetings, and
sometimes not even that) over the last few months. And that's why I am
not running again. Perhaps in a year I will have the time to be more
involved at the board level and run again, but for now just
participating in all the open source projects and in the conference
committee and having a job and family life takes up most of my
discretionary time. And I am interested in getting more involved in
local (British Columbia) non-technical organizations, so I need to
clear some space in my life for that.

It's been an interested experience though, I learned some useful stuff
about organizations. I hope anyone who is thinking of running is on
the activist side of the ledger.

Paul