[postgis-devel] Geography on Trunk

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Sep 11 12:29:00 PDT 2009

+1 from me.

-----Original Message-----
From: postgis-devel-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
[mailto:postgis-devel-bounces at postgis.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Paul
Ramsey
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 1:24 PM
To: PostGIS Development Discussion
Subject: [postgis-devel] Geography on Trunk

Devs,

The geography work has now passed a few milestones, in terms of having
instantiable objects, index bindings and simple create/serialize functions.
The work in the sandbox has also proven that the new type will not require
re-working of the existing functionality and can function as bolt-on code
next to the old code. The primary reason for working in a sandbox was to
have the freedom to break core code if necessary, and it turns out, that was
not necessary.

So, I would like to bring the geography sandbox back into trunk. There are
no technical implications that I can see. There is only one procedural
implication, which is that once geography is in, a 1.5 release will probably
end up waiting until geography is ready for general release. The work is
being done under contract however, and a numbered release is supposed to
come out before Christmas, so if anything we would be accelerating the
natural release cycle.

Thoughts?

Paul