[postgis-devel] ST_Perimeter and ST_Perimeter3D what should Polyhedral Surface return?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Aug 12 17:47:44 PDT 2010

I revised the garden test to log timings to a table postgis_garden_log.
Mostly I just wanted to see which functions Polyhedral surface successfully
completes.

If a step is completed without rolling back, the log_end is filled in.  I
figure this will be later useful for timings as well.

There are a surprising number that polyhedral surfaces return answers to.

One is ST_Perimeter and ST_Perimeter3D.  This just seems to be a sum of the
polygon perimeters.

To me this answer is wrong since I don't think the shared edges should be
included.

Also I noticed for Polyhedral surface, it returns an invalid multipolygon
since edges intersect.  Do we care that ST_CollectionExtra can return
invalid multipolygons form a valid collection of polygons?

Thanks,
Regina