[postgis-devel] Oracle SDO_GEOMETRY vs PostGIS WKT

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Wed Aug 25 08:41:24 PDT 2010

No, the Oracle geometry model is not topological.  It is based on
exactly the same approach as PostGIS, ESRI and Microsoft use for their
geometry implementations.  Vertices and edges are not shared, they are
duplicated whereever they occur.

Oracle does have a topological storage model as others have pointed out,
but this historically was released after SDO_GEOMETRY and I think has
only minor connections with it.

I think the reason why Oracle's Geometry model appears complicated are:

- it is quite general (e.g supporting arbitrary curvilinear segments)

- for whatever reason they chose to expose the underlying implementation
structure (both in terms of API and in documentation).  PostGIS and
other systems don't expose this model directly to the user.  If you saw
the underlying PostGIS model you'd probably think it was even MORE
complicated!