[postgis-devel] Death to Pointless Operators

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sat Dec 18 14:40:28 PST 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at opengeo.org> wrote:

>> If you get rid of anything you should really get rid of that ~ -- its just
>> confusing because it means something completely different as Nicklas
>> mentioned a while ago (when you are talking about the built-in polygon/point
>> and I think even pgsphere --
>
> ~ is the opposite of @. But it can be any symbol we like. How about !@ ?

Actually that would be a bad symbol pairing (the equals/notequals
parallel is not correct, A = B does not imply B != A). A better one
would be if we used >> and << since they are commutative relations.
But that would break backwards compatibility which above you are
telling me is a big deal for the operators that people don't actually
use!

So, for sheer conservative curmudgoenliness, I would suggest we leave
~ and @ as they are.

P.