[postgis-devel] Death to Pointless Operators

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 02:32:25 PST 2010

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I vote that we Destroy, Destroy, Destroy, leaving behind only
>
> &&  bbox overlaps
> @  bbox within
> ~  bbox contains
> ~=  bbox same
>
> P.

-1. I definitely have a use case for geometry_left/below/right/above
which is you can use a binary search to quickly find the real extent of
a stupidly large dataset using only the index.

Secondly, the operators are synchronised with the PostgreSQL R-Tree
operators and so we could potentially prevent users from moving their
application from native PostgreSQL over to PostGIS.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk