[postgis-devel] 3D distance functions

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Tue Dec 28 14:28:50 PST 2010

Hallo all

I just committed the rest of the 3D distance functions.
There is no regression tests or unit tests yet.

There is probably a bunch of bugs, but I commit anyway and hope more
people might punch on it.

There is a lot of possibilities to consider. The functions are supposed
to handle holes in polygons too, so there can be one polygon passing
through a hole of another for instance. It should work, but I have
actually not tried it yet.

One idea I have to make a test suite is to just tilt the geometries from
a 2D dataset with st_affine, but it will still be difficult to get
answers we know is right. Or is there som other software that we easily
can use to check against?

Some functions that might be of interest for other things than distance
calculations is:

define_plane, which defines the plane of a polygon in 3D. How that is
done might be a topic for discussion.

pt_in_ring_3d, checks is a point on the same plane as the polygon is
inside or outside the polygon.

project_point_on_plane, gives the point from where the original point is
perpendicular to the plane

Is it a good idea to make a wiki page, describing how things works, and
what situations I have tried to cover up?

About make astyle I couldn't run it. I had the message:
./astyle.sh
Only 1.23 astyle version is 'allowed'

and I have version 1.24

Regards