[postgis-devel] Spatial Partitioning Example Suggestion

George Silva georger.silva at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 16:44:43 PST 2010

Hello everyone,

After thinking for a while, I'm asking for a opinion on how to develop the
spatial partitioning feature (#181).

I'm coming here after ideas, and I'll be presenting my own.

I made a simple Activity Diagram to illustrate the process. I apologize for
my UML mistakes :P.

The idea, in text is:

Create a partioning_information table (or what other name seems appropriate)

Create a partitions table, with a polygon geometry.

User creates a partioned table. The user inputs: Extent, Width and Height
(of each tile) and an optional Grow Percentage.

After that, the algorithm would create all partition tables (we can think of
a nice naming rule for those tables, or put them into a schema?) and fill
out partition_information and partitions and create the insert/update/delete
rules (or triggers) for that master table.

These rules/triggers would be based on intersection or within, testing the
centroid of each feature against the table grid. I know this can be slow,
but is there any other option? What method is faster to determine if a point
is inside a certain tile?

Tell me what you think.

--
George R. C. Silva