[postgis-devel] Call for 1.4.2 and 1.5.1 (Handling of Invalid Geometries)

strk strk at keybit.net
Wed Feb 24 10:46:39 PST 2010

All in all I'm really not convinced the ST_MakeValid will
return a valid representation of what the input data intended
to express. I don't think any such process will ever exist.
As Paul recently said (was it him?) it's hard when the computers
start doing "what I mean" rather than "what I say".

And what you say to shp2pgsql is "import this data", not "clean
it up in an arbitrary way before importing it".

As a note, my client explicitly mentioned they would NOT want
the data to be automatically cleaned but would rather have
some triggers added to a table to *catch* the invalid geometries
to back them up in an specific table to send the original producer
with requests-to-cleanup. The actual ST_GeometryClean is just a
temporary solution they'd use until they have something "certified"
to be valid....

--strk;

  /\   http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html