[postgis-devel] astyle

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Jan 27 05:47:43 PST 2010

Mark,

I agree with Mateusz on this one.  I think we should change peoples
behavior.  If people get slapped on the wrist enough they will follow our
styles.

My reasoning is as follows

1) The change Paul requested was small and since 2.0 will not be released
for another year and with our new policy this change would not make it in
for another year.
He would have dormant code sitting in 1.5.1 or whatever which I find
terribly annoying and he couldn't put it in 1.5.0 because code is code
regardless of if it changes API.

2) The re-formatting as Mateusz says is a cosmetic thing.  A cosmetic thing
that changes MANY FILES and makes code look different even if it is not.
That's worse than changing code before a release.

When you change many files randomly you have a relatively high probability
of something going wrong and that wrongness is unpredictable.  That is why I
say it requires more testing for that.

Besides this is something that doesn't change the API so can be done any
time.  I fail to see the sense of urgency in this.

Thanks,
Regina