[postgis-devel] Why PostGIS libraries should not be GPL

Sakari A. Maaranen sam at iki.fi
Thu Jan 28 07:32:32 PST 2010

2010/1/28 strk <strk at keybit.net>:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 05:08:08PM +0200, Sakari A. Maaranen wrote:
>
>> PostGIS comes with the JDBC extension library that is released (as
>> Java source code) inside the PostGIS distribution package. According
>> to the copyright notices, the JDBC extension library is released under
>> GPL.
>
> Which copyright notices ?
> The JDBC extension is supposed to be released under the *L*GPL.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I just double checked the files I have
and it seems that the COPYING file that I read was erroneusly copied
from the root of the PostGIS distribution package instead of from
inside the JDBC extension directory. Someone (hopefully not me) had
put in the wrong COPYING file with just the postgis.jar...

So, I was under the impression that also the JDBC extension was under
GPL. My bad, should have double checked before. Anyway, problem
solved.

Oh, and I guess my critique on GPL in that long rant is still
generally worth reading, so that was not in vain.  ;-)

Thanks for the great product and the JDBC extension library!

Br, Sakari