[postgis-devel] Why PostGIS libraries should not be GPL

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Jan 28 10:51:11 PST 2010

strk wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 05:32:32PM +0200, Sakari A. Maaranen wrote:
>
> Oh, and I guess my critique on GPL in that long rant is still
> generally worth reading, so that was not in vain.  ;-)

To rant on something, it's good to understand the matter.
Your questions suggest this condition is not fulfilled :-)

You should send your questions to a lawyer asking for clarification.

It is a mistake to think that developers who contribute to FOSS
projects perfectly understand licensing issues in terms of law.
Developers are not lawyers, though some of them have very good
understanding of this matter.

However, you should never ever base law-related decision on opinions
given by random geeks or someone who is not a lawyer, unless you
don't really care about potential consequences.

Best regards,