[postgis-devel] GUI Speed

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sat Jul 10 08:18:49 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:

> i) By default, shp2pgsql .... | psql -d foo  will use local UNIX sockets
> rather than TCP/IP. Does it make a difference if you do something like
> shp2pgsql .... | psql -d foo -h localhost to force TCP/IP transport?

This I haven't tested, but the actual functions exercised by the
postgres backend should not differ depending on transport, and they
definitely do.

> ii) Does the GUI use COPY or INSERT format by default? Way back in my mind I
> had a feeling that shp2pgsql defaulted to COPY whereas the GUI defaulted to
> INSERT.

They both default to INSERT, but in this case I tested them both in COPY mode.

I had a thought, which is we are calling the PQ*copy function
once-per-line. I wonder if psql sends data back in larger blocks? If
we buffered up the lines and called the function less often, would
that change things, I wonder.

P.