[postgis-devel] ST_GeometrySplit

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Wed Mar 10 11:49:18 PST 2010

It would be nice if the results were separated into "left" and "right".
So you might return a geometrycollection which always contains 2
components, the first one always being the left side and the second
being the right. The geometries in the collection would have the
appropriate type, perhaps minimized to the "lowest" applicable type
(line vs. multiline or poly vs. multipoly).

I guess this result format is what would differentiate "split" from
"difference", as with st_difference the results are effectively unioned
into the most combined, minimal geometry, while with split you really
want to keep things separate.

Right-side vs left side can be ambiguous too... an example is a circle
or spiral that is split by a line on only one side. Perhaps a 3rd
component to the resulting collection?

Chris