[postgis-devel] Doubt - PostGis

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 15:18:03 PST 2010

>Andrea,
>
>Thanks a lot for your help.
>It worked fine. :)
>
>Now my next step is to convert data from Oracle Spatial to Postgis.
>I saw in the net the tool ora2pg.
>
>Do you know any other tool that does data conversion from Oracle to Postgis
>?
>Need I write scripts in Oracle for extracting spatial data ?
>I hava a lot of data to convert.
>
>Best Regards
>Eriovaldo

I know only two tools capables of translate from oracle to postgis.

The first is the commercial tool FME (www.safe.com)

The other perhaps capable of this goal is ogr2ogr (from gdal tools). A
very good tool with LGPL-Like license.
You must get the full version with the driver for oracle and the
driver for postgres.

Another solution is to convert from oracle to shapefile and with an
utility from postgis load on postgis.

But pay attention the oracle spatial and postgis mdo not match exactly
each other because
 the oracle spatial has the sdo_geometry but even the sdo_topo_geometry.

If the sdo_geometry can be put to a postgis geometry, perhaps for the
sdo_topo_geometry there isn't nothing in the
postgis universe.

Regards,

Andrea.

--