[postgis-devel] Proposal to drop support for PostgreSQL 8.3 in PostGIS 2.0

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Oct 9 10:17:12 PDT 2010

While we are on the topic of breaking changes, I propose we drop support for
PostgreSQL 8.3 in PostGIS 2.0 and make our further changes with that in
mind.

Reasons:

1) As a rule of thumb, I don't think we should support more than 3 versions
of PostgreSQL in any major/minor release.  Its just too many permutations of
testing involved.  Its pretty clear to me we will have to support

At least PostgreSQL 8.4, 9.0, and upcoming 9.1

2) If we drop PostgreSQL 8.3, we can start using the default parameters
features for functions introduced in 8.4.  I think this will get rid of 30%
of our .sql function code base e.g. ST_AsKML, ST_ASGML etc. can be reduced
down significantly.  Many of the raster functions as well.  We have a whole
slew of such other things.

I know this may require document changes, but would be willing to go thru
that pain to get reduce our 700 someodd function permutations.

3) We can probably get rid of that change Mark put in for installing that
says -- Get rid of this when PostgreSQL 8.4 is the minimum.  Not to mention
several other places I can only guess we have in place just to support
PostgreSQL 8.3

4) If we don't drop support for PostgreSQL 8.3, I fear in 2.1 we might have
to drop support for 2 versions of PostgreSQL.  I feel from a user standpoint
gradually dropping off versions is less painful than dropping 2 versions.

Just my 2 cents,
Regina