[postgis-devel] Something wrong with build

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Wed Oct 13 10:31:45 PDT 2010

  Right, so the current autobuild process is taking about 60 minutes to
complete.

The build itself happens within minutes.  Building the documentation on
the other hand is what is dragging the process out.

# takes about 20 minutes
make -e chunked-html 2> doc-errors.log

# takes about 15 minutes
make comments 2>> doc-errors.log

# takes about 22 minutes
make pdf

During chuck-html task, it looks like we're stalling on this command
(stalls for about 10 minutes, idle cpu, i/o):
/usr/bin/xsltproc ./xsl/postgis_aggs_mm.xml.xsl postgis.xml >
postgis_aggs_mm.xml

and this (stalls here too for about 10 minutes):
/usr/bin/xsltproc \
   --param section.autolabel 1 \
   --param section.label.includes.component.label 1 \
   --param chunk.section.depth 0 \
   --param generate.section.toc.level 1 \
   --param funcsynopsis.style ansi \
   --param admon.graphics 1 \
   --param admon.textlabel 0 \
   --param simplesect.in.toc 0 \
   --param use.id.as.filename 1 \
   --param chunk.quietly 1 \
   --stringparam html.stylesheet style.css  \
   --output html/ \
   --stringparam saxon.character.representation decimal \
   /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets/html/chunk.xsl \
   postgis-out.xml

Then, on the comments task (taking about 15 minutes):
/usr/bin/xsltproc ./xsl/postgis_comments.sql.xsl postgis.xml >
postgis_comments.sql
/usr/bin/xsltproc ./xsl/raster_comments.sql.xsl postgis.xml >
raster_comments.sql

The pdf task used to take only 5-10 minutes, now we're up to 22 minutes,
stalling on the dblatex command.

Anyone have ideas why xsltproc is getting slower and slower?  The build
machine is a standalone PostGIS build box ...  load average is minimal.

Is it just the configuration / software versions on this box?  Are
others able to build the docs in a reasonable amount of time?

For reference:
$ xsltproc --version
Using libxml 20626, libxslt 10117 and libexslt 813
xsltproc was compiled against libxml 20626, libxslt 10117 and libexslt 813
libxslt 10117 was compiled against libxml 20626
libexslt 813 was compiled against libxml 20626

Cheers,
Kevin