[postgis-devel] Proposal to drop support for PostgreSQL 8.3 in PostGIS 2.0

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at umb.no
Fri Oct 22 01:16:29 PDT 2010

On 10/14/2010 10:10 PM, Mike Toews wrote:
> On 14 October 2010 11:15, strk<strk at keybit.net>  wrote:
>> But still I think it's great for people running old software
>> to be able to take a look of what postgis can do for them.
>
> The same people running an old and stable postgres probably want a old
> and stable PostGIS. The people wanting newer features in PostGIS are
> probably the same wanting to newer features in postgres. I think that
> the old-camp and new-camp of people couple their versions of postgres
> and PostGIS. (Just a guess.)

I do not agree.  I think that many, like me, want the latest
and greatest of PostGIS, while running the default Postgresql
version for the OpSys.  One thing is that one would expect
Postgresql to be more mature than PostGIS, the other thing is
that many server administrators would like to keep the amount
of non-default software at a minimum (in theory, there could
also be software that depends on older versions of Postgresql).

When determining when to drop a Postgresql version, we should
try to follow the "schedules" of the most common operating
systems for database servers.

Just some thoughts ...

Håvard

--
Håvard Tveite
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, UMB