[postgis-devel] ST_ndims, was Geocoder geometry_columns

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Thu Oct 14 20:43:52 PDT 2010

I have been using PostGIS 2.0 trunk for a number of months, for the
clean geometry functions,
to explore new functionality, to get closer to writing some patches.. etc

Off the cuff, moving databases from 1.5x to 2.0 has been a problem
regarding ndims

perhaps something like

  pg_dump -Fc old_database > old_database.dump

  ## comment out PostGIS functions in dump listing

  ## create new database with PostGIS 2

  pg_restore -L file.list new_database

but ndims is required?  it fails ?
I have not pinned this down and may not be telling the story exactly
right..  BUT

My hack is always to copy the lines that define st_ndims() and create a
function called ndims()
** in the PostGIS 2.0 database **  and proceed with the import..

  It appeared to me, without studying the problem, that ndims() was
required by the dump/restore
even though "all" of the old PostGIS was removed..

  this is bad...  clearly, the majority of 2.0 use will be updated
1.5 databases..

  I havent done this since the serialization "switch" was thrown
recently, and things are still in flux I realize
but your comments reminded me of this..

  best regards from Berkeley California
   -Brian