[postgis-devel] WKTRaster Scale and Skew

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 22 07:22:14 PDT 2010

Pierre Racine wrote:
> David,
>

> I like that very much! It’s not because the ESRI definition of World
> File have been confusing for years that we must continue in the same way
> (like GDAL did).

Pierre,

I take objection to this.  I did not model the GDAL GeoTransform() on
the ESRI world file and the parameters are not even in the same order.
It is a capture of a general first order affine transformation in a form
that is comfortable to any mathematician.

I haven't read over the proposals for ST_Rotation etc in WKTRaster in
detail, but I hope you will be careful not to muddle things badly.
The phrase "so a user can always test if ST_RotationX = ST_RotationY
and determine himself if it is a true rotation" was pretty damning in
my opinion.

Best regards,